Saturday, September 12, 2015

Box in a Box



It's almost fall y'all! It's my favorite time of year. I think it's the colors and the cooler air. This week I made a gift card box in honor of my favorite season and for a friends birthday. I used both my Silhouette Cameo and Cricut Expression machines to make all of the items I wanted to use on this project. 
 I cut my easel Gift card holder, and the box it goes in using a cut file I got from the Silhouette Store. It’s called Star Gift Card Box with Pocket Easel Card by Lori Whitlock.  She has some adorable 3-D projects if you want to check them out.  At first I was a little intimidated because of all the pieces, but it was easy to put together once I watched her video. I changed the decorative pieces up because the original project was more of a patriotic theme and I wanted something for fall. 
 That’s where my Cricut came into play. I used the Everyday Paper dolls and Autumn Celebrations cartridges to do the decorative elements. 

By using the farmer from Everyday Paper Dolls I was able to make a scarecrow. I just cut off his hands and feet, (yes it made me feel a little creepy. It was kind of like eating a gingerbread man) and cut some scraps of yellow paper for the straw. Then I drew on a scarecrow face.  I used Autumn Celebrations for the pumpkins. The larger one on the right has 5 layers and the one on the left is only one layer.  I think they work well together and add more depth. If I weren’t going to put it in the presentation box , I would add a more dimensional pumpkin or a miniature hay bale as a stop for the easel, but since I want to put it into it’s box I’m using a fiber paper rectangle for the stopper.  I also added a little green ribbon to the gift tag.

I love that this has a little slide out drawer. It even comes with a platform that holds a gift card. Of course, you wouldn't have to insert the platform if you wanted to put a little gift or some candy inside instead. There is plenty of room. The drawer measures 
4.5" x 3" x 1" deep

 The gift card holder slips neatly into the presentation box and makes it more gift like than just handing them the holder and saying, "Here". I used kraft paper card stock to make the presentation box. I thought I might decorate the box at a later date, so I put the design on the inside and left the outside a blank slate.
              A little bow holds the box shut nicely and gives it a more festive feel too.
I’m going to enter my little box in the following challenges. Stop by and check them out all the talent out there and get some great ideas! 
Little Scrap Pieces  Stop by and leave her a hello.
Die Cutting Divas Challenge #232, 3-D projects
Silhouette Challenge  Anything Goes Challenge #29
My Sheri Crafts  Challenge #165 Thinking of Fall 
Tuesday Throwdown  #261 Anything Goes 
Bitten by the Bug 2 Labor Day Challenge in honor of workers in your life. My husband farms and I used a farmer for my scare crow. That counts doesn't it?

 


14 comments:

  1. Boy I love this! It will make such a fun fall giftie! I love Lori files too...they cut so nicely! Great Scarecrow too!

    Thanks for joining our Silhouette Challenges for September-Anything Goes

    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable gift card holder. Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin' Divas this week.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute. I love your farmer, scarecrow, the pumpkins and just everything. This gift card box is just adorable. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very cute. I love your farmer, scarecrow, the pumpkins and just everything. This gift card box is just adorable. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute box with this little farmer on it. Perfect for your challenges!!! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 and DCD

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous way to present a gift card!! Love your farmer/scarecrow!! Thank you so very much for joining our 'Labor Day Challenge' at BBTB2!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sure it counts. - and yes we need farmers! Great project - love the box and the scarecrow.....thanks for joining bbtb2 this week.

    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to share a gift card! Thank you for joining our “3D” Challenge this week at Die Cuttin’ Divas.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •
    Die Cuttin’ Diva DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative gift card holder. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment on my shadow box.

    Sue
    http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super adorable gift card holder!!!! Thanks for joining us at DCD this week!
    Gerda
    http://cardscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all stopping by and for all the warm fuzzies. ~ Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is ADORABLE!!! What a sweet surprise to give somebody. I love your Farmer Scarecrow. And yes, it does count for the Labor Day Challenge! Way to go. - DT Kelly Plamondon (Bitten By The Bug 2)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is so nice!!! I love the layout and especially that one can fold it all together! This is great! Thank you for playing along with Tuesday Throwdown. Sunny regards from stempelfrida
    http://stempelfrida.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete