Sunday, July 8, 2012


Sunday, July 08, 2012
I am so excited! I just received an email from Karen over at Little Scrap Pieces telling me that I've won her Fun Friday Challenge! Being new to all of this, I feel very honored that my entry into her challenge as been so well received. Thank you Karen!

I raced through my house work Saturday so that I could begin working on a challenge from BBTB2. The inspiration is Here Comes the Sun. The image I had in my head was a spiral sun from the Gypsy Wanderings cartridge, but I was looking through my binder (more on that in another post) and found a 4 piece flower in the Sweet Treat cartridge that I thought would make a fun sun if I used the right colors. I've also entered this in the Fantabulous Cricut Monday Challenge #120-Sunny Days. Don't you just love these sunny days of summer challenges?

I decided to try making an interactive card. I wanted the sun to move across the sky as though it were rising and setting. After several false starts and a couple elaborate attempts I realized it would be just as easy to make a simple dial that you could turn at the bottom to make the sun travel in an arc. First I attached the circle to the card using a flower brad. The trick to this is to make sure that you have the brad centered in the middle of the circle. I did this by folding the circle over, like a taco, and making a slight crease and then opening it out flat and doing it again going the other direction. I put the brad in the middle of X. I then cut a slit in the card by tracing the circle half way around using an exact-o knife. Next I attached the sun to a one inch rectangle of card stock. I ran the card stock through the slit and glued it to the circle. Now when the circle, or dial, is turned at the bottom of the card, the sun travels across the card. I finished decorating my card using more flower brads and cutting grass using the Plantin Cartridge.
For the inside I cut a card liner slightly smaller than my card and, using my computer and printer, typed my sentiment, ‘Wishing you happy moments from sunup to sundown’. I then glued the liner inside the card being careful not to glue down the moving parts but also hiding them and the backs of the brads. 

 Sun is actually a flower from the Sweet Treat cartridge
 Grass is from Plantin cartridge and birds are from Serenade


13 comments:

  1. That's very cute. Love the design and your flower sun. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute...so glad you shared with us. I love the way the sun sits atop the card edge.
    Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 fun with the sun challenge.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sweet flower sun, cute card, thanks for joining us at BBTB2 Challenge, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use the flower for the sun!! Love it. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interactive card,love your flower sun.Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interactive card!! And I love that you used a flower for the sun, if you hadn't told us I would have never realized it wasn't a real sun. So clever!! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great idea to do with the sun. Love this! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Love the sun! Great idea! Thanks for sharing with us at BBTB2!
    Congrats on your win!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic design. Using a flower for the sun and making it move is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing with us at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! How cute and creative! Love your sun and the way it travels is fabulous! Thanks for sharing with BBTB2. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the interactivity of this! just brilliant. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us at BBTB2!

    -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a cute interactive card :) thanks for sharing with us at bbtb2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, your sun is so cute! I love how you made it so the sun can travel across the card and the bright colors just pop...great job. Thanks so much for joining us over at Fantabulous Cricut Challenge...good luck. Kathie

    ReplyDelete